Saturday, February 5, 2011

Taking Measures

In past posts, I've mentioned that I like to eyeball my seasoning amounts, rather than measuring out each teaspoon...but when it comes to larger amounts, especially for liquid ingredients, I do use measurements provided by recipes to make sure that I get the right consistency in my dishes. Flavors are subjective, but don't jeopardize the consistency and texture.

There are many great ways to make those measurements and I wanted to discuss a few options for you. Pyrex makes a wonderful line of measuring cups that really do last forever. Currently, I have 1-cup, 2-cup, and 4-cup Pyrex measuring cups and that usually covers the bases. These work the best for liquid measures, and can be used to get your mise en place set as well.

Pyrex Prepware 1-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red MeasurementsPyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements Pyrex Prepware 1-Quart Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements 

For dry ingredients, I have a great set of prep bowls with measurement lines, from the Mario Batali line of cookware. These are the bowls that you've seen in my mise en place photos, since the beginning. The set comes with 5 bowls, each with 2 measurements. There are lots of different prep bowl sets out there, so find one that works well for you! You'll be amazed at how easy mise en place becomes!

Le Creuset Silicone Prep Bowls, Multi-colored


Other measuring tools include dry measuring cups, which are more like little cups, rather than the pitcher style. Last year, I also found a very cool little item that looks like a shot glass, but has teaspoon and tablespoon measurements marked off on it. It comes in extremely handy for small amounts of oils and vinegars especially. Finally, for measuring teaspoons and tablespoons, there are little sets of pre-marked spoons that allow for 1/4 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, teaspoon and tablespoon measurements.


Now, get measuring! It's grocery-shopping day here so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment