Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Late Night and Some Thai Food

Welcome to the middle of the week, and that day that I spend two hours at the gym after work - doing Zumba and then yoga. I know, I JUST got home! My husband is at a Bruins' game tonight as well, so it looks like I'm on my own for dinner. I just placed an order for some Thai food, which made me think about the generalities that Asian food receives, but doesn't deserve!

All Asian cuisines intrigue me, and they are some of my favorite foods, but no two are alike, I'll promise you that. I think it's a common misconception to think that Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai foods, for example, are similar in any way! On the contrary, my dear Watson, they are very much dissimilar. Sri Lankan, Indonesian, Malaysian, Vietnamese and even Indian food can also be considered Asian cuisines, but the most common four, I'd say, are the Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai foods.

My favorite Chinese meal is a Cantonese delicacy, Dim Sum. Now, this is the epitome of instant gratification. When you go to a Dim Sum house, you are seated at a table, no menu required. You'll notice carts passing through the aisles stacked high with goodies! All you have to do is pick what you want from the carts, get your card stamped (for paying later) and voila, you've got lunch! It's quick, it's affordable, and it's delicious! Some of the options you'll find are shumais, dumplings, and my favorite...these yummy doughy sesame balls filled with bean paste. Mmm... :)

SESAME SEED BALLS
From Flickr - by GucciBeaR

Now, when we think about Japanese food, the first thing we think of is sushi, one of my favorite foods on this planet! However, there is much more to Japanese food than raw fish! Tempura, Katsu, and teriyaki dishes abound in this cuisine...but also, BENTO BOXES. I love bento boxes because you get to try a bunch of things in small amounts. Traditionally a lunch time option in Japan, a bento box has about 5 separate parts to the dish, each filled with another yummy treat. White rice and a salad are usually involved, as are tempura and teriyaki, along with a bit of sushi. Every restaurant has a different spin, but usually, you can order an "entree" and then it comes with all of these side dishes in the box. If you've never tried this form of lunching, I highly suggest it.

Bento Box
From Flickr - by Route79

Korean BBQ is a really fun night out, if you've never tried it. You order meats and veggies that are then grilled in front of you, on your table...that's right, your table is the grill! Bulgogi (thin slices of meat in a sweet and spicy sauce) is one of the most popular dishes, I'd say. However, my husband and I have another favorite: Bi Bim Bap. This dish is served in a hot clay pot, so it's still cooking when it comes to the table. In this pot, you'll find white rice, all sorts of vegetables, thinly sliced beef, and on top of all that, a fried egg, sunny-side up! When you burst the yoke and stir it into the dish, along with this spicy red sauce, it's heaven in a hot bowl! And the best part about Korean food...their tradition of little plates of appetizers that come with every dish. Marinated spicy zucchini, daikon and carrot slaw, kim chee...the options are different at every restaurant...and it comes with your meal!

Bi Bim Bap
From Flickr - by Gee!Bee

Finally, when we think of Thai food, I think the first thing that comes to mind is Pad Thai, but there's so much more to this delicious cuisine. Curries, delicious soups, and spices galore! Since I ordered Thai tonight, I'll tell you what I had! I had a Thai version of shumai, a steamed dumpling made of ground chicken and shrimp wrapped in a wonton wrapper, served with ginger sauce. For my entree, I chose the healthy option tonight...I did just come from the gym after all! I had Bangkok Garden, which is boiled chicken (it sounds boring but when cooked right, it's extremely juicy and succulent) with broccoli, summer squash, carrots, baby corn and onions. This dish comes with a delicious peanut sauce which you can pour over the dish at your discretion. I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner tonight!

So, experiment with those Asian cuisines and learn the differences for yourselves...you'll be amazed how  things so different have been lumped into such a broad category!

1 comment:

  1. It was always weird to me that most people have pad thai and don't try anything else. I think it's a good gateway food to introduce people to thai cuisine, but there is so much more flavor in most other dishes. But I shouldn't talk. I've been stuck on eating drunken noodles for 10 years. =)

    ReplyDelete