Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Go-Go Gadget: Mandoline

I have to say that the mandoline is one of my favorite gadgets, and I'm not talking about the musical instrument! So many recipes call for thinly sliced vegetables, but it's so difficult to do that with a knife. Either they aren't all the same thickness (which means they don't all cook at the same rate) or you've sliced up your fingers trying to get the whole piece cut! But I have the solution to all of your woes, and then some!
Oxo Good Grips Mandoline Slicer

There are many versions of mandonline slicers out there, and depending on how much you want to spend will determine what you get for your money. The OXO Good Grips Mandoline Slicer that I have is a mid-range choice, and has lots of great features. The slicing guard is key for getting those small pieces sliced. The blade, which I find to be perfectly sharp for the jobs at hand, can be raised or lowered depending on the thickness you're looking for.

This gadget also allows for julienne cuts! What's a julienne, you ask? This is a knife technique that results in "matchstick" pieces of whatever you are slicing. This can be quite time consuming with a knife (although I find knife work strangely calming), but the mandoline can help you save time in this department as well. You'll quickly have a growing pile of matchstick veggies to throw into whatever recipe you're following!

Celery and Carrots with Cinnamon Peanut Butter!
From Flickr - by Gino LoCascio

Lastly, I like that this particular mandoline has rubber feet and a little prop stand so I don't have to hold it while it's in use. I can place a cutting board underneath to catch my slices and have my hands free to concentrate on the task at hand. There are quite a few handheld mandolines out there, but I can only imagine that they are a bit unwieldy.

Now, what can you MAKE with a mandoline? Homemade potato chips, marinated cucumber salads, and of course, a quicker mise en place are only a few of the uses for this wonderful invention. I find it easy to use and easy to clean! This gadget is one of my favorite things that I registered for when I got married, and it came from two of my favorite people! xoxo Lauren and Sara! :)

mandoline potato
From Flickr - by SmithsEdgeWare
Cucumber.
From Flickr - by Paula.X

1 comment:

  1. Glad it's your favorite thing! We got ours from my Grandma who never used hers. It's a pretty cool gadget.

    ReplyDelete