Monday, February 7, 2011

Worth the Trek

Today is my Sri Lankan friend, Ladali's birthday! How she gets two holidays in less than a week that require lots of hugs, I'll never know!? She's lucky I like hugging her! :)

We ventured out into the melting puddles of snow to take her to lunch at a place called Barlow's. It's a bit out of the way, and located in an area pretty secluded from other businesses, but it's well worth finding this gem! The exposed brick walls and funky modern decor add to a very "chill" atmosphere. I loved the paintings in the corner that depicted charcoal smokestacks dotted with patches of bright orange and red flames. The menu is quite upscale, but the ambiance is very relaxed. I love enjoying a great plate of food in an environment where I can kick back and enjoy my friends' company.



After perusing the menu for a few minutes, I decided on the Ricotta Gnocchi with Bolognese Sauce and Garlic Toast. My friends ordered the Steak Tips with Mashed Potatoes and Garlic Spinach, and the Citrus Ginger Salmon with Tamari Brown Rice and Asian Greens. The bread that they brought to the table was a rosemary focaccia, accompanied by a delicious bean spread.We snacked on that while we waited for our main courses to arrive.

First, let me say that the bolognese was delicious, and the texture was perfect! (If you read my previous post on Bolognese Sauce, you'll see what I mean!) The gnocchis were a great size, and they must have been sauteed in a little butter before being added to the sauce, because they had a slight crunch on the surface of each piece. They were light and fluffy, but just dense enough to hold up very nicely to the richness of the sauce. The garlic toast had a wonderful, garlicky aroma without being overpowering. I was extremely happy to have that bread when it came to sopping up the rest of that delicious sauce!



My friends enjoyed their meals as well, and it was all reasonably priced. See what I said about an upscale menu, with a relaxed feel? These dishes were sophisticated and delicious, but also comforting and great for a winter's day!

In the summer, they have a nice patio for outdoor dining, one of my favorite things to do! I'll definitely be going back to Barlow's both for indoor comfort meals, and al fresco dining. I also saw a flyer posted about $1 oysters on Monday nights...and we all know how much I love oysters! Stay tuned for more from Barlow's...

Barlow's is located at 241 A Street in South Boston. For reservations, call 617-338-2142.

No comments:

Post a Comment