Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Quick Weeknight Meal

I don't normally go to the gym on Tuesday nights, but I promised some friends I would try this kickboxing class, so I got home a bit later than normal tonight. (And phew, what a workout! I am going to be in PAIN tomorrow!) Up next on the menu are the tuna tacos, so I will be making those tonight. While making my own salsa, and the Jicama Slaw to go with it probably won't be as quick and easy as other taco dinners, I'm sure we'll enjoy a lovely meal, albeit a little later than normal. However, tuna cooks really fast, so the prep work will be the most tedious part tonight...once that's all done, dinner will be ready in a flash! And voila...doesn't that look DELICIOUS!?



Meals like this can be put together rather quickly, and that's why they make for really great mid-week menu items. We're all running around, going here, and coming from there, but we still need to find time to cook. Not only is it healthier, but it's also a lot more budget-friendly too! The added bonus: if you get in time at the gym, you won't feel guilty enjoying your yummy dinner and maybe even a nice glass of wine to wind down the day!

Tacos are a great mid-week meal because you can put out all the fixin's and let everyone make their own. Whether there's two people in your household, or five, as long as you have enough to go around, you're golden. This is the same with salads - put all the toppings in little bowls and let everyone make their own! It's a salad bar in your kitchen! Another great idea is pizza. You can buy pre-made pizza dough in the supermarket, flatten it out, spread some sauce on, sprinkle some cheese, add the toppings, and voila...into the oven it goes (and homemade pizza is WAY better for you than the fast food variety).

2 pizza types
Photo from Flickr - by surekat

When the process is simple, and the ingredients are simple, you're bound to score a home-run every time. Share your quick and easy weeknight meals in the comments section so we can all broaden our horizons...and quicken the pace in the kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. Mere, What's in the jicama slaw? I've never seen that before and I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the Mardi Gras Jicama Slaw recipe from the Whole Foods cookbook! However, I'm not sure I would make it the same way again. Jicama is a very watery element when shredded, and mixed with the sour cream and rice vinegar that the recipe calls for, the mixture became quite soupy. I had to pour a lot of liquid out of the bowl after mixing it up. Also, the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper - that's A LOT! I used maybe 3/4 of a teaspoon and that was still too much...so the measurements are a bit off on this recipe, I think. I'll have to play with it a little to make it what I really wanted it to be!

    ReplyDelete