Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sfince! (A Sicilian Dinner : Part 3)

As promised, last night I made the third part of my Sicilian dinner menu. Sfince are fried puffs of dough, and they are magical! The dough is simply butter, water, a tiny bit of sugar and salt and some flour. Once all of that is incorporated in a pan, you pour the hot dough into an electric mixer and add four eggs, one at a time. What you get is a very thick batter, and now it's time to fry!

After heating a pan of oil, I dropped a few spoonfuls of the batter in, and they immediately multiplied in size! They puff up so quickly, but you've got to nurse them for a few minutes until they become golden brown and crispy. (The first batch did not stay in the oil long enough...they were spongy and light in color - I learned my lesson!) Once I'd fried them all up, I drizzled the platter with some warm honey and they were ready to eat! Light, fluffy and crispy all at the same time! My husband had a great idea to drizzle them with some maple syrup too, and that was delicious as well!

Sfince


This concludes the Sicilian dinner! Up tonight: Native Lobster, Singapore Style!

No comments:

Post a Comment