Friday, July 8, 2011

The Weekend is Upon Us!

Originally, I planned on writing about the final item on the current menu, an Osso Bucco from the Food Network Favorites cookbook. However, I just wasn't all that inspired by the final result. It could have been that I was missing the gremolata accompaniment for the Osso Bucco ( a cut of veal that is on-the-bone, and cooked slowly to maintain its tenderness) but I ran out of parsley, and really didn't feel like toasting pinenuts. I also should have made a rice, or a couscous to go along with it - the laziness of summer weekends is setting in, I know!

I got a phone call today, letting me know that my Harvest Delivery would be arriving on Sunday. Remember, a few weeks back when I let you all know about that special deal I found on Bloomspot? If not, check it out here. I don't know what I will be receiving until it shows up, but I know I will be getting a full share of fruits, vegetables, some farm-fresh eggs, and a special surprise. They also include a booklet of customized recipes for the share being delivered.

Week 2 CSA Share
from Flickr - by ChickenThistleFarm

It's also time to make a new shopping list since I've finally finished the current menu, but I don't want to start a list until I know what fresh produce I have to work with, so this menu might be a little different than usual. I also have some fresh herbs from my friend's garden that I'm trying to use as well, and my pantry is overflowing with half-full bottles and jars of wonderful ingredients just waiting to be used! I'm thinking I might get a bit creative this time around and work through some of the things I already have lying around, picking up proteins as I need them.

Have you all been visiting the farmers' markets? I love to walk around the booths and think about what I could make with all the different ingredients these local vendors have to offer...and now is certainly the season for it! Let's make this a culinary adventure we can all appreciate - as I find wonderful ingredients I will share them with you, and if all of you out there in the blogosphere find things you want to know more about, send me a comment or an email - I will do my best to include those items in posts! It'd be a waste if we didn't take advantage of all the things offered to us in these lovely summer months!

Farmers' Market Dallas, Texas
from Flickr - by muddbutter

Stay tuned for some pictures of the bounty I'll be receiving on Sunday! I know I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment