Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crafting a Menu

This weekend, I worked on a menu for the coming weeks, and decided that I wanted to do something a little different this time around. We're going to go on a little trip around the world, with each menu item hailing from a different corner of the globe. Sounds fun, right?! Different cuisines, and different ingredients, and along the way, we'll learn about the traditions of each nationality as well. Obviously, I won't even hit on a small percentage of the different kinds of cuisines out there, but it's a start! I really enjoy learning about new places, and eating the local food is one of the best ways to do it because you learn about local ingredients, the reasons for certain traditions, and more!

Globe
from Flickr - by Ben Bunch

We didn't go grocery shopping this weekend, because we'll be leaving for our annual camping trip in a few days! It's us...and 15 of our closest friends, and it's always a great time! I had to come up with a small menu for our trip as well, since I prepare in advance for the first night's meal...a giant potluck where everyone brings different dishes and we all dig in as we set up our tents and crack the first beers of the long weekend! These are friends from near and far, and getting together on this weekend each year is very special to me! This year, I tucked into a magazine that "The Best of Fine Cooking" produced, all about Tailgating, for my menu.

Shrimp Salad Rolls with Tarragon & Chives
Grilled Steak Kebab Pitas with Ginger & Garlic Dressing

Roasted Potato Salad with Shaved Fennel & Salsa Verde
Buttermilk & Herb Cole Slaw

I think this little menu will make for a nice assortment of things to add to the table during the first night of our camping extravaganza. We'll pair the menu with some nice cold, frosty brews from the cooler and that sounds like my kinda night! 

camping
from Flickr - by sew~amy
Check out the Current Menu tab for the trip around the world that will take place when we return from our camping trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment