Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Favorite Way to Eat Cucumbers

During recent weeks, I've been all about eating simply and easliy due to the hot summer weather. Tonight is no exception, as we returned from a weekend in Vermont visiting our dear friends Matt and Sarah, and their adorable daughter, Finn. We stopped at Whole Foods to get some grilling necessities, but I knew I had some cucumbers at home, and wanted to incorporate them into the meal. My favorite way to eat cucumbers is an Asian-inspired dish, and it is simple, yet extremely flavorful and refreshing.

I picked up a red onion to complete the list of things that I needed for this dish...it's really just cucumbers, red onions, rice vinegar and some salt and pepper.

IMG_0823


I used a mandoline slicer to get an even slice (and a thinner slice, at that) on the pieces of cucumber and red onion. It's a fast, easy way to slice a large amount of something in a very quick, effective manner. Once the cucumbers and red onion are sliced, toss them in a bowl with a healthy pour of rice vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit until the rest of your meal is ready...the more it sits, the more the flavor will incorporate into the cucumbers and onions so don't be afraid to make it the day before you want to use it if you want a really flavorful salad!

IMG_0824


Mmmm! Crisp, refreshing and flavorful! It goes great with fish, meat, noodles, rice...you name it, it pairs nicely, and did you see how simple that was!?

No comments:

Post a Comment