Friday, July 22, 2011

And the winner is...

Momogoose!

As the bright red cart boasts, it was recently awarded the Best Food Truck of 2011, by the Boston Phoenix. It has recently made its appearance in Dewey Square, in the Financial District, and I happened upon it today. It is oppressively hot here today, and so the wonderful folks at Momogoose were handing out free cups of ice water to all their patrons. How nice is that? And by nice, I mean every single employee at that cart was helpful, friendly and engaging!

IMG_0834


As I waited in line, and realized I wanted a little bit of everything on the menu, a lovely woman came over to offer me water and ask if I had any questions! I asked what her favorite was...and she recommended the #1 (which is a full dish of noodles, veggies, slaw and chicken, cooked in a lemongrass sauce) as well as today's special. When I got up to the counter, the special was sold out, but the #1 was available, so I went with that. I will definitely try and get there earlier than 1:15pm next time...so that more choices are available to me.

Each dish on their menu is $5 and healthy at that. From their website I learned that they are the country's first food truck enterprise, founded in 1989 by MIT alums. They specialize in Southeast Asian gourmet cuisine. The short amount of time it took for me to get my order was shocking - by the time I'd handed over my $5 bill, it was ready! I carried it back to my office and dug in!

IMG_0835


This food is delicious! The chicken was tender and flavorful, the noodles were cooked to perfection, the veggies were nicely steamed (not soggy) and the touch of slaw with slices of mango in it was totally refreshing. Even though it's over 100 degrees outside, I found this hot meal to be comforting and filling! It was so satisfying! I would have liked to have gotten the crispy roll to go along with my meal (an extra $1.50), but they were out of that as well.

So, for all you folks that are looking for a satisfying, filling, affordable and healthy lunch, take a trip down to Dewey Square and get in line at Momogoose! And remember, get there early for the best selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment