Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm BAACK!

Hello, my culinary comrades! I missed you while I was away, but I have SO much to tell you now that I'm back at home, unpacked, and doing load after load of campfire-scented laundry. All the dishes I made for the first-night feast at the campground went over really well, and since you've already heard about those, I'll move on to the wonderful things I found to eat during the trip! There's no such thing as camping without roasted marshmallows, and I found JUMBO marshmallows - they were HUGE!

IMG_0846


After a long night of catching up with friends, enjoying good eats, and inevitably drinking a few too many beers, there's nothing like a diner breakfast the next morning. Dark coffee, big plates of food and a little bit of grease can get you on your way for the next day of fun. Banners, in Conway, NH, is no exception. I normally get the eggs benedict when I'm there (one of many yearly traditions!) but their special muffin of the day was a Butter Rum muffin...which I really needed to try. So I got the New Englander, with some eggs, some meat, some hash browns...and a grilled Butter Rum muffin. Oh my goodness - it tasted like a cup of butterbeer (Harry Potter fans... :) ), it tasted like a melted Werther's candy, and to quote my friend Sarah, "it tastes like happy!" It was amazing!

IMG_0848


There's no visiting Conway without visiting the outlet shops at Settler's Green. One of the stores I was most excited about visiting was the Stonewall Kitchen outlet! If you've been paying attention at all, you know how much I love Stonewall Kitchen so I walked in and grabbed a basket...because you know I filled that up! The first thing I saw was a mix for Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies. I also picked up some nice nosh-type crackers, as well as a Blood Orange Marmalade that I cannot wait to put on some homemade toast. I was really looking for some more cookbooks on a good discount, but the selection was lacking this time around. I'll have to keep my eye out on the website for good deals.

IMG_0849


After a long day of shopping, we stopped at the closest place to the outlets, Applebee's. I know, I know...I am not one to advocate chain restaurants like this, and I really only go to Applebee's ONCE a year...in July, in Conway, NH...after a day of shopping...so I'm allowed to splurge a little on something absolutely NOT good for me. And boy, did I find it! I found something on the menu that I just needed to try...and so did half of the people I was with as well! Provolone-Stuffed Meatballs, with Fettuchine Alfredo! Right? I know...totally horrible for me...but SO delicious! It was better than I could have dreamed it to be, actually...and I don't praise Applebee's often...but my goodness! Ooey, gooey and yummy!

IMG_0851


I didn't eat much else after this enormous plate of fabulousness, and we had another fun night by the campfire. In the morning, I burned some calories by going for a nice, steep hike on Black Cap Trail. The overlook we happened upon at the top was totally worth the trip (not to mention burning off some of those meatballs)! (there's my friend Kevin, checkin' out the scenery on the left!)

IMG_0852


After the return trip, back down the trail, we went to Delaney's Hole in the Wall, to fulfill another one of our yearly traditions. We always have a post-hike meal at this local establishment, and this year was no exception. I saw stuffed quahogs on the menu, and had to have one. I think it might have been the best stuffed quahog I've ever had! It had big chunks of bacon, and this hint of heat at the end of each bite...I think there might have been minced jalapeno in there! It totally hit the spot after a day of hiking!

IMG_0854


After we had all eaten our fill at Delaney's, we walked down the street to Molly B's Ice Cream shop! We were such a large group, and we kind of took over the little place, but the ladies behind the counter were more than happy to accomodate! They were so friendly, and willing to let us taste until we found the perfect scoop! I ended up with a kiddie cup (come on, I've been eating like crazy here!) of Cherry Amaretto Chip, and it was so refreshing on such a warm day! The cherry ice cream was really fruity with the perfect amount of tartness, and the amaretto chips were a totally welcome crunch!

IMG_0856


Later that evening, we unloaded the coolers and cooked the rest of the food that we'd been keeping on ice for the length of our trip. Some marinated steak tips, some pasta salads, a few chicken apple sausages, and many more laughs around the campfire. We eventually all drifted off to bed, knowing we had an early morning of packing up tents in our future! But, wait, I saved the best for last! Because the place we go for breakfast before we leave for home is my favorite place in Conway! It's called Peach's, and it's delicious! I normally get some crepe-concoction while there, because they always have yummy options, and you don't really see crepes on too many menus. This morning, I ordered the asparagus, tomato, ham and gruyere crepes...and they did NOT disappoint! The waitstaff is friendly, the atmosphere is adorable, and the food...this is one of my favorite breakfast joints...period. So...good!

IMG_0858


Now, we're back home, the puppy is so happy to see us again, and it's back to the day-to-day! The grocery store should be expecting a visit from me, since my fridge is E-M-P-T-Y! My kitchen is calling me back to start in on this new menu I've got posted up here and it's time to get back in the swing of things! I missed you all, readers, and I missed writing these posts. Look forward to many things in the coming weeks...I'm back, baby!

1 comment: