Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cold Soup?

So, we're working our way through the leftovers from the bridal shower, attempting to yet again clean the fridge out before going grocery shopping. I was so busy on Saturday that I didn't get to enjoy half of the things I worked so hard to make! Tonight, I had a nice big bowl of the Chunky Gazpacho with Piquillo-Scallion Relish, and oh boy, I was inspired to write!

IMG_0659


Gazpacho is one of my favorite things about summer. According to Wikipedia, gazpacho is a cold Spanish tomato-based raw vegetable soup. That's right, you heard correctly - raw. There is no cooking necessary here, and that's why it's a great summertime meal. No added heat, fresh, crunchy veggies in a cool tomato base...sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

There are many gazpacho recipes out there, and I urge you to try many of them before settling on your favorite...but this one, from the Stonewall Kitchen Favorites cookbook, well, it's pretty darn good! Lots of tomatoes, crunchy peppers in all colors, cool cucumbers and the bite of red onion make for a burst of flavor with each spoonful!

Gazpacho
from Flickr - by Melissa Prado Little
(I don't think I could've found a better picture to depict the process)

The way I describe it, I guess it sounds like more of a salad then a soup, but let me explain. Once you've cut up all of your fresh veggies, and they are all combined with some lime juice and whatever else your specific recipe calls for, you blend about half the mixture in a food processor, until it's a juicy puree. This is what turns it from a salad, to a chunky soup. Don't get me wrong, you'll still be chewing each bite, and experiencing that nice crunch of cool cucumber and peppers! Who'd have thought you'd want to eat soup during the summer!

Be on the lookout for gazpacho on menus in your area! If you find an exceptionally good one, be sure to share it with all of us here on Mise En Place (A good place to start). I don't want to speak for all of us, but I love hearing about restaurants, and menu items that hold a special place in one's heart! Can't wait to hear your stories!

There's a new menu in the works as well - coming very soon! If you have requests, get them in ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment