Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Shower

Well, the shower came off without a hitch yesterday! The weather was beautiful, the company was enjoyable and the food...well, if I don't say so myself, the food was fantastic! I spent about 8 hours on Friday prepping and cooking in anticipation of the big event, and then another 5 hours on Saturday morning, pulling everything together. A friend came over in the morning to help as well...much needed help, I must say. Even when the guests of honor showed up, I was still putting the finishing touches on the items I decieded to include in the menu! The theme of the shower was Hawaiian Luau, and for that reason I chose many things using tropical fruits, such as pineapple and mango, as well as pork, which is a great meat for luaus - it's very versatile and goes well with lots of fruits, and tropical sauces.

IMG_0650


The Menu

Signature Drinks:




Strawberry Sandwiches (as pictured above) (Stonewall Kitchen Harvest)
Lamb and Sweet Pepper Skewers (Williams-Sonoma Entertaining: Cocktail Parties)
Char-Siu Glazed Pork and Pineapple Buns (as pictured below) (can be found here)
Fruit Spring Rolls (as pictured below) (can be found here)

Simple Salad with Mixed Fruits and Tropical Dressing (a la Sarah)
Chunky Gazpacho with Piquillo-Scallion Relish (Stonewall Kitchen Favorites)
Citrus-Glazed Pork Tenderloin (recipe a la Heidi) 
to be served with Caribbean Fruity Salsa (can be found here)

Pineapple Truffles (can be found here)
Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes (a la Sarah)

IMG_0651


When hosting an event like this one, you really need to go into your prep work with a plan. For me, it helps to lay things out on a piece of paper. Think about what parts can be prepared the furthest in advance, and get those out of the way. Think about the things that need to marinate, and get those set in the fridge. What needs to be completed immediately before guests come? That's the most important list you'll make...since those are the things you'll be scrambling to complete as the doorbell is ringing!

IMG_0652


When all was said and done, and the pork had all been cooked, the pineapple had all been eaten, and the presents had all been opened, I think I had a houseful of happy, full guests who thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon of good company, good laughs, and celebrating the start of Rachel's and Jon's new lives together. And me? Well, I was entirely satisfied with the spread that I turned out, and the course that the day took. It makes me happy when others enjoy the things I work so hard to create, so to me...and hopefully to everyone else...SUCCESS!

IMG_0653

1 comment:

  1. Mere, it was nothing short of incredible. I keep getting told how fancy and delicious everything was. What you do is so impressive, so THANK YOU again for being just awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete