Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Morning Pancakes



This morning, I decided to use the last recipe on my previous menu. We never got to the "Breakfast for Dinner" option this time around, so it was appropriate for Saturday morning! I made Roasted Shallot, Chive, and Buttermilk Pancakes with  Lemon Creme Fraiche and a Trio of American Caviars...except I only purchased one type of caviar - it's expensive! I got this recipe from the Stonewall Kitchen Harvest cookbook.
This cookbook is great because the recipes are organized more according to season, than by course or main ingredient. There are four sections: From the Garden, From the Sea, From the Root Cellar, and Fruits of the Earth. I find this very convenient for menu planning, because I can usually turn towards the section of the book that will allow me to maximize on fresh, in-season ingredients. For example, since it's winter, I tend to use a lot of recipes from the Root Cellar portion of the book, since it's definitely the season for potatoes, turnips and parsnips.

This recipe was very interesting since it's a savory pancake dish that doesn't really call for syrup or anything of that nature. The creme fraiche was delicious, and the caviar gave a nice bite to each mouthful. I decided to go with the Yukon Salmon caviar because I tend to like the taste of salmon roe better than others...however, the recipe mentions the trio of salmon (red), sturgeon (black) and whitefish (gold) caviar. I'm sure that it would make for a very pretty plate, as the picture in the book shows, but that would have been a very expensive breakfast!

I've made quite a few dishes from this cookbook and every single one of them has come out very well. I like Stonewall Kitchen, as a company, and have been very satisfied with every recipe I've made from them. I also recommend their products. They carry great stuff for entertaining! I've only seen one brick and mortar store for Stonewall Kitchen, in North Conway, NH, and they have some great deals on their best-selling products there. I've ordered from their website as well, and their shipping is reasonable. They also offer quite a few good deals on sets of their best-selling products as well. Give them a shot! You won't be disappointed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment