Saturday, January 8, 2011

Add a Little Spice to Your Life

Yesterday, I decided to try a new method for purchasing the spices that my recipes ask for as ingredients. When I looked at my grocery list, I realized that a few things on the list in that section would not be found easily in my local stores...so I turned to the Google! I searched "epazote," which is a common mexican herb, used in a lot of common dishes. The first search result was a website called Spice It Up Online.


I decided to give them a shot, so I found epazote and added it to my cart. I turned back to my list on the Shopper app, and saw that I was also looking for Mexican oregano, as well as anise seeds. (I know, this all sounds extremely complicated, but sometimes good recipes call for strange spices and you just have to do a little googling to get to the bottom of it!) For instance, I was under the impression that anise seeds would be the same as fennel seeds...since fennel is sometimes called anise. I was wrong however, and Yahoo taught me a few things. Apparently, anise seeds actually come from another spice, Star Anise. So, I went back to my cart on Spice It Up, and added both Mexican oregano and anise seeds to my cart as well. Each of these three spices were about $2 each, for about an ounce...whereas, at the grocery store, you have to buy a big bottle, that will spend a lifetime sitting on your pantry shelf.

For the three spices I needed this week, I spent $6...plus a $2 flat shipping rate. I am still awaiting my delivery but I think I've found my new method for spice purchase. I saved myself some money, and some space in my pantry, but still get to try working with a spice I've never heard of before (more on epazote when I get to it on my menu this time around).

There are other places similar to Spice It Up but I chose to use them because they were at the top of my Google search. If you live in the Boston area, there's a store called Penzey's Spices (also with a website) and you can go there to browse their selection as well. I find it overwhelming to look through their catalog without some sort of plan, since I want to try them all!

Today, I'll be going grocery shopping too...and that means (drumroll please)...A BRAND NEW MENU! It starts tomorrow so there'll be plenty of fun things to talk about ... a new bunch of recipes I've never tried!

Leave me comments if there's something specific you'd like me to address, or just want to let me know that you're reading! I'm extremely excited to see over 200 viewers here, and I wonder ... do I know you all? Have I gotten some random viewers? Am I helping you? What do you want to see more of? Talk to me, because I'd love for this to be an interactive experience! XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Love Mexican oregano...use it a ton...and Penzey's rocks! Good one Mere.

    ReplyDelete