Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Buying Food Off The Truck!

Some states boast outdoor "food courts" by the parking lot-full. Others look confused when a food truck is mentioned, but in between these two extremes is Boston, with their beloved Clover Food Cart. The Clover cart started at MIT. Since then, it has become a phenomenon at the Dewey Square Farmer's Market this summer, and has also developed a brick-and-mortar store in Harvard Square. The wonderful staff at the Clover Food Lab braves the cold and wind to stand in Dewey Square, slinging their delicious, locally-grown, vegetarian fare, each and every day...and we THANK YOU!

Chickpea Fritter


The menu (written on the side of their truck, in dry erase marker) is ALL vegetarian...wait, don't let this sway you! All the sandwiches are served in a wheat pita, piled high with wholesome goodness. The Chickpea Fritter sandwich boasts, of course, chickpea fritters as well as a hummus dressing, marinated carrots and cucumbers and a yummy red cabbage slaw. I think this is one of the most substantial sandwiches, so when I'm extra-hungry, that's my go-to pick! Many of the choices reflect in-season vegetables, so the menu changes with the seasons. Today, I decided to try the Sweet Potato - slightly charred sweet potatoes, jicama slaw and a cilantro dressing. This was a new one for me and I loved it!! Other choices include BBQ Seitan, Egg and Eggplant, and my favorite in the summer months, the Heirloom Tomato!

The Clover Cart also has a lot of options aside from sandwiches. They offer a few special vegetable salad-type side dishes each day, as well as soups. Today, I noticed a celeriac soup on the menu, and I will be back to try that in the near future! The one side that is ordered the most frequently it seems are the rosemary fries, and you can smell those things a mile away - they make your mouth water! They also have a breakfast menu, something that I have yet to try, but stay tuned...I'll get there eventually! :)



They also make their own beverages! I know, what DON'T they do!? :) The selection ranges from iced teas to lemonades, and they even have mulled cider on those cold days! Today, I had a Sage Lemonade that I wish I could drink for the rest of my life! It's so natural tasting, not weighed down with sugars and sweeteners. You get the true taste of lemon and sage, and it is extremely refreshing. Another favorite of mine is the Iced Hibiscus tea. A must try!

The staff is friendly and upbeat, taking orders on their iPhones, and calling them out to the cooks in the back of the truck. Even when the line is at maddening lengths, it's worth the wait. I have always been ecstatic with my order! The people behind this concept, as well as the ones upfront, running the show, are brilliant and awesome. And today, as I left the cart, I heard a loud, "Have a great day, Meredith!" Now that's service with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment