Thursday, January 27, 2011

Viva Papagayo!

I would like to take a quick moment to thank everyone who's reading this...we've hit 1,000 views, and that truly is an incredible feat in under a month! Thank you to everyone who's shown their support! It means the world to me!

Today, I took a friend to lunch for his birthday, and had the brilliant idea (truly, it was brilliant) to try the new Mexican restaurant down the street from my office, Papagayo. Let me start by saying that I have nothing but the highest praises for this establishment. Everything about our visit was superb, and before I start gushing, let me tell you all about it.

We opened the door and were met with bursts of bright colors, festive music sung in the native Spanish language (a bunch of songs recognizable from my Zumba class!) and a bustling atmosphere. The hostess was very friendly and led us to a table immediately. The atmosphere in this place is intoxicating - it just makes you want to be in a good mood. In fact, I would describe it like this: It feels like vacation! :)

Papagayo
The Real Papagayo

Our waiter, Hector, came over momentarily to take our drink orders, and he was so attentive throughout our meal! We ordered our drinks, and before we had even ordered meals, he'd already refilled them as well. The menu has much of the traditional Mexican fare, as well as some updated, modern twists, along with quite a few healthier options as well. I chose to go with the Pan-Seared Shrimp Penne (tequila lime reduction, ancho clam broth, baby spinach and roasted peppers), while my friend decided on the Shrimp and Avocado Salad (pan-seared achiote marinated shrimp, avocado, mango, jicama and chipotle vinaigrette).

Once our orders were placed, Hector brought us some chips and salsa. I can pretty much guarantee these chips were homemade, along with the salsa, and they were both delicious! They also offer a table-side guacamole on the menu, and as we were leaving, I happened to notice one being ordered. It looked fantastically fresh, and I will be trying it next time!

homemade fresh tomato salsa & guacomole

Our meals came in a nice amount of time - we had time to chat while we were waiting, but we weren't checking our watches either. The service was very well-timed. Both of our meals were delicious, perfectly sized, and very appetizing to look at as well. My friend's salad was vibrant and fresh-looking. My pasta was cooked al-dente, the shrimp were cooked perfectly, and the broth was decadent without being rich. The clam broth really added a lovely thickness to the broth, without overpowering the other flavors in the dish.

Because this was a lunch, and I had to go back to work, I couldn't sample the drink offerings, but this establishment does pride themselves on their tequila selection. There is a large floor-to-ceiling display case, boasting many brands of tequila. They mean business! Scattered among the bottles, you'll find those Day of the Dead skeleton dolls, a touch that I find very endearing in Mexican restaurants. I just love them!

Skeleton Ladies

I will definitely be frequenting this restaurant on a regular basis. I love the ambiance, and the food is delicious. The portions were perfect as well. We both finished our plates, and felt perfectly satisfied - neither overly full, nor still hungry! I also think this would be a great place to gather for happy hour and will be checking out the scene in the near future!

Well done, Papagayo! WELL DONE!

Papagayo is located at 283 Summer Street, in downtown Boston. Check out their website at www.papagayoboston.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment