Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Back to Reality!

We're home, we're unpacked, the laundry is almost done, and it's time to get back to the daily grind. The fridge is pretty empty, since we've been gone for the last 2 weeks, but I need to keep it that way in preparation for all the Thanksgiving goodies I'm going to start acquiring in the next few days. It was convenient that I went back to work on a Tuesday, when the farmer's market sets up shop in Dewey Square on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had put some meat in the freezer after receiving it from Omaha Steaks before we left, so I defrosted a few steaks for dinner last night.

At the farmer's market, I bought some brussels sprouts, and also went to a local shop for some Gorgonzola Dolce. I happened to notice marinated Gigante beans so I got some of those as well. So, for dinner last night, we had some delicious grilled steak (something we didn't have at all while overseas), some roasted brussels sprouts, and marinated Gigante beans. I topped the grilled steak with some gooey Gorgonzola Dolce, and it made for a lovely garnish as it melted and incorporated into the steak's juices. That was only 4 ingredients, and the leftover beans and cheese take up very little room in the fridge.


While at the farmer's market, I planned for another dinner as well. I have pork chops in the freezer so I bought some apples and carrots to make a slaw to garnish the pork. I also bought some spinach to make a bed for the pork. However, when I got home tonight, jet lag had definitely set in, so I decided to save the pork for tomorrow, and order some Thai! 

This weekend, I'll start planning the Thanksgiving menu. I'm starting to think about hors d'ouvres, side dishes, and even how I want to cook the turkey. I've been reading up on different techniques, and once I pick one, I'll dissect the intricacies of it for you all. It seems that everyone has a different argument for the best way to cook a turkey. Which one really is the best? I'd have to cook a lot of turkeys to find out! Do you have a favorite way to cook turkey? Share it here by commenting on this post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment