Friday, June 17, 2011

What a Concept!

I'm all about using ingredients in new and crazy ways. This morning, we visited a restaurant in Falmouth for breakfast, called Country Fare. I scanned the menu and my eyes were drawn to an omelette that contained sausage, cheese, and ... apples! I continued to peruse but really, I couldn't get that concoction out of mind, and decided that I needed to try it to see for myself. We placed our order and our food came rather quickly.

IMG_0721

Oh my goodness, what a concept! Fruit in omelettes - this won't be the end of this idea! No sirree! The apples were cooked, soft and supple, with, I'll have to say, cinnamon. It was like apple pie flavors, maple sausage flavors, the savory bite of some swiss cheese, all wrapped in a pillow of egg. Never again will I second guess the use of fruit in a savory egg dish...because the melded flavors were definitely one for the books!

Tip of the Day: To bake apple slices for a recipe like this one, heat your oven to 350 degrees. Peel and slice your apples, arrange them in a baking dish, add some water to the dish and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Bake until soft and delicious!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great spot for breakfast! Hope you come back and we'll do a tour of our favorite lobster rolls!

    ReplyDelete