Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Aegean

Hi there, culinary comrades! We needed to run an errand in the Natick/Framingham area tonight after work, which meant a drive in the midst of rush hour to the good ol' Metro West. Luckily, I remembered that I had purchased a voucher from BuyWithMe! I spent $25 for a coupon worth $50 at one of our favorite Greek restaurants, The Aegean.

We love this place, and when we're in the neighborhood, we can't help but stop in for lunch, dinner or whatever works at the time we're around! Their menu is extensive and most entrees come with an amazing greek salad, and a choice of side (the rice pilaf with gravy is THE choice...although, you can have potatoes or veggies if you prefer!)

The atmosphere at this establishment is laid back yet sophisticated. The decor is modern and airy and it's a very relaxing place to enjoy a good meal. The bar area is usually hoppin' and I think they even have live music sometimes!

As we sat down, we immediately received a basket of pita bread and The Aegean's signature dipping oil - olive oil with lots of feta in it! It's delicious! As our waiter mentioned tonight, "Everything's betta with feta!" (Please pardon my pictures this time around - the light was weird in there and my flash did not do these images justice at all!)

IMG_0457

Once we'd tucked into our pita triangles and feta oil, we ordered some drinks and decided what we would have for dinner. Most entrees come with a fresh Greek salad, which comes out momentarily after placing an order - and I was starving...I was totally looking forward to it!

IMG_0458

I'm not going to lie, I usually get the same thing when we come here. Their spanakopita (Spinach Pie) is awesome...and enormous...and delicious...and it's one of my favorite things on this planet. However, I decided to go outside my little Greek box this evening, and I went with a lovely shrimp scampi over rice pilaf with a lemon-white wine gravy. Matt got stuffed sole and stuffed shrimp with the requisite rice pilaf and gravy.

IMG_0459

The sauce was thick but light, and the shrimp were done perfectly. Their rice is always cooked to perfection and it was a very enjoyable meal. Because we needed to spend $50 on food to take full advantage of our voucher, we even got dessert, to go! Some Baklava and some Galaktoboureko (it's filo dough, with a greek custard - and as our waiter pointed out, it sounds a little like "booty call"), yum yum yum! We'll save those for a little later this evening...because right now, I'm full!

'καλή νύχτα' (Good night in Greek - pronounced cahlee-neet-ah)

No comments:

Post a Comment