Thursday, March 3, 2011

Stir: A Book Report

I've talked about Barbara Lynch's cookbook, Stir: Mixing It Up in the Italian Tradition, but I've never actually reviewed it, and since it's my favorite cookbook (I think, I mean, that's a hard thing to commit to) I thought I'd give it a proper review, or book report, dare I say. (It's been a slow few days in the cooking department - we need groceries, we need them BADLY!)

Stir: Mixing It Up in the Italian Tradition
When this cookbook was released, I was very excited to run out to the store and purchase it. Since buying it for myself, I've recommended it to numerous people, and also bought it for a few people as gifts as well. The recipes are not what I would consider easy, but they also aren't difficult, if that makes any sense. It can be daunting to open a book and see a recipe that spans three pages, but once the recipe is started, the instructions read quite fluently and are pretty easy to follow. There are time-consuming recipes as well as quick and easy weeknight dinner options in this fantastic tome.

The chapters are divided by course, which is the way I prefer a cookbook. It makes it easy for me to flip to the part of the book that I need when planning my menu...whether I'm looking for a salad, a chicken dish, or something meat-related. There's quite a few portions of this book that also touch on special techniques, and basic recipes that can be used for an entire section, such as her basic pasta recipe. Every recipe in the "A Passion for Pasta" section of this book can be fashioned after making her basic pasta recipe (which is one of my favorite concoctions for pasta dough, actually!).

I enjoyed reading the introduction, which really explains where Barbara Lynch comes from as a person, and as a chef. It's inspiring to read about how far she's come from her upbringing in a South Boston housing project, to find herself with celebrity chef stature in the Boston area today. She is a creative chef and a brilliant business woman.

From theinsidesource
I highly recommend purchasing this book. I've made more than 50% of the recipes already and every single one of them has been amazingly delicious. I haven't had a mess-up yet! For those of you who decide to purchase this book, or even just want a taste of what's included, I thought I'd mention a few of my favorite recipes from each section of the book!

In the "Starters and Small Bites" section, try the Slow-Roasted Clams with Spicy Tomato Sauce. I actually made this as a meal with some crusty bread one night, and it took 25 minutes, total. I came home from work, threw it in the oven, put some pj's on, checked my email and voila....dinner! Highly recommended!

My favorite recipe in the entire book, and probably the simplest, can be found in the "Salads with Substance" section. The Mixed Greens with Herbs is a deliciously flavorful salad that adds something spectacular to ANY meal. It is my go-to side dish for company, as well as weeknight meals where I need a quick salad to go with a protein. The home-made dressing is delicious, and the herbs add something so special to plain mixed greens. I promise you'll get nothing but compliments on this one!

tomato soup and biscotti
From Flickr - by betterbrownies
Moving on to the "Satisfying Soups" section of the book, my favorite of the recipes I've recreated so far would definitely be the Spicy Tomato Soup with Crispy Grilled Cheese. This one is a dish served at Sportello, and I can tell you it's delicious in the restaurant as well as at home. Aside from the fresh pasta recipe in the "A Passion for Pasta," I think I truly love the Torn Pasta Fagioli with Shrimp Polpettini. The torn ribbons of fresh pasta mixed with delicious white beans and succulent shrimp meatballs is just an amazing combination.

Another quick, week night meal can be found in the "From The Sea" section of this book. The Spicy Clam Stew is a hearty dish that takes no more than 20 minutes to make, but yet it tastes like hours toiled over a hot stove. YUM! The Cornish Game Hen Cacciatore, located in the "Chicken, Duck and Goose" section is a wonderful comfort food, served over a Creamy Mascarpone Polenta which is just to die for. (I didn't say that all of her dishes are totally healthy ... but a little mascarpone polenta, in moderation, is a wonderful thing!) I haven't attacked the "From the Butcher: Beef, Pork, and Lamb" section as effectively as I'd like, as of yet, but moving on to the "On The Side" chapter, I have to make special note of the Turnip Puree here. Like the parsnip puree that I've raved about in the past, it's just turnips, salt, pepper, some butter and heavy cream (but you could use milk instead to health it up a bit!). It's delicious...so delicious in fact, that not only did it get a checkmark after I made it, but it also got a little "yum" with a smiley face. The recipes that receive this rating are few and far between! As for the last chapter, "Sweet Treats," I haven't tackled it...because...well...i'm not a baker! I will though...it's on my to-do list.

Steamed manila clams
From Flickr - by oysters4me

All in all, I highly recommend this cookbook as a wonderful addition to any budding chef's collection. She'll challenge you, and teach you, and you'll come out of your kitchen with some delicious, restaurant-quality meals that you'll be proud to share with company!

No comments:

Post a Comment