Friday, February 10, 2012

Part Three: Chapter Nine : Meat, Poultry, and Game Identification


Apologies for not having written in a few days! It's been a busy week, and on top of that, I've been home sick the past two days with something that's been going around my office! Fever, aches and pains, it's awful, and I haven't been in the mood to do anything but lie on the couch and watch old Lifetime movies - one of my favorite pastimes! 

I did find it in me today to read a chapter of The Professional Chef, though. This is an interesting chapter because it has given me a bit more insight into the different kinds and cuts of meat available to us in the markets. It's useful to know what each of these cuts looks like, and where it comes from! It's important to know what cooking procedures are best for each cut of meat so that you can enjoy it to the fullest.

Because meats have such a short shelf life, it is wise to always cook your purchased meats as soon as possible. When I go for a large food shopping trip and buy multiple cuts of meat for different meals, I tend to immediately freeze what I won't be using right away, preferring to defrost later than risk the chance of spoilage in the refrigerator.

In this chapter, numerous cuts of meat are displayed in large pictures, something that I will definitely refer to in the future. It's good to have a reference so that when a recipe calls for a certain cut, you will be knowledgeable about what you need when you get to the store or butcher. There is also a chart mentioning the common cooking techniques for each cut of meat. This is a fantastic reference for the home chef that might not have this information at an arm's reach, otherwise.

When shopping for meats, you want to look at coloring, marbling, and smell, depending on the cut. Even coloring and lack of scent are preferred...if the meat smells a little funky, it should be avoided. (Hopefully, I'm not telling you something you didn't know before!) That's another reason I recommend freezing it, if you aren't going to use it directly after purchase.

That was a fun chapter to read, with lots of images to help me understand the different cuts of meat out there on the market. While my appetite isn't quite up to par right now, this chapter has encouraged me to start working on next week's menu, feeling confident that when I show up in the meat department, I'll be on my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment