Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bluegrass and Brews

Today, I got in the car with my good friends, Kevin and Sherlly, and we headed out to Bolton, MA for Oktoberfest at the Nashoba Valley Winery. Aside from the locally brewed ales, there were delicious things to eat, winery tours and wine tastings, bluegrass music, and wonderful company! While chilly, we had a relatively good day, weather-wise, and we carved out our spot on the lawn, laying our blankets, opening our camp chairs, and of course, heading off to the beer line!


I opted for the Oaktoberfest brew. I was drawn to the description because it mentions vanilla as one of the undertones of flavor, and I found that intriguing.




I'm glad I went with the Oaktoberfest. I really enjoyed the taste and density. I don't know much about beer, but I'm trying to learn. I know I'll be learning quite a bit as we travel through Belgium and Germany, two weeks from now, and I promise to pass those tips and tricks on to all of you!

But now, we move on to the food! I followed my friend Kevin over to the "snack shack" first, where he purchased a caramel-coated, cider donut. This delicious, apple-y donut was drizzled with a thick, warm coating of gooey caramel. You had to eat it with a fork, and I got to have a bite! Because this winery makes most of their wines from apples, you will find that many of the items I speak of today include apple. At the "snack shack," I also picked up a caramel-coated apple, wrapped in tin foil, to bring home to my husband!


After our trip to the "snack shack," we settled into a very long line in the main food area, to await our turn to place an order. With burgers and hot dogs to choose from, the menu item that stood out to me was the Apple BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich...and it did NOT disappoint! There was a sweetness to the BBQ sauce that was just enough to give a richness to the tender pork, but yet, it was savory at the same time. I tend to lean towards pulled pork at events like this because it's less likely to be overcooked...and again, I scored there. The pork was delicious, tender and moist, and just oozing with the delicious sauce!


There was an offering of Macaroni and Cheese on the "Sides" menu, and I had to try it. I know I've told you all before, I have a weakness for Mac & Cheese, and this one was really good. The flavor that was noticable in this version was rosemary, I think. It might have been thyme, but I'm leaning towards rosemary, and I thought it added a really interesting twist to an otherwise generic dish for a BBQ. It was hot, gooey, and hit the spot on this chilly afternoon!



All in all, we had a really fun day at Nashoba Valley Winery. I bought myself a bottle of wine, enjoyed good eats, good drinks and wonderful company! This was certainly a weekend full of laughter and wonderful memories, and it was nice to sit back, and just relax.

Tomorrow, back to the grind, and getting ready for the Halloween party on Saturday evening. I think I have the menu in place, now I just have to start cooking...and put the finishing touches on our costumes!

P.S. Thanks to my friend, Drae, for the name of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment