Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blue Inc.

My co-worker/friend and I visited Blue Inc. today for lunch, for the first time. We were celebrating her birthday, as well her proclaimed "Mere-Day," which represented my birthday and Administrative Assistant's day, which took place a few months ago! I had told her that I really wanted to try this restaurant since it's recent opening in June, and so today, we finally took a walk down to Broad Street, and got ourselves a table. It's a good thing I made a reservation since every table in the place was booked as we enjoyed our meal! The atmosphere is fun and modern, getting most of their light from the giant windows at the front of the space. Gordon Ramsey's autographed picture greeted me as I walked into the outer vestibule, since Jay Santos, chef/owner, was runner-up on Hell's Kitchen a few seasons back. The blue-haired culinary master opened Blue Inc, after leaving his gig at Gargolyes on the Square early this year.

My friend saw a deliciously-pink drink arrive at a neighboring table, so when we were asked if we'd like something to drink, we ordered two of those! They turned out to be cranberry lemonade, which was tart and sweet at the same time, and wonderfully refreshing! The best part? They came around with a pitcher of the lemonade every few minutes and refilled our glasses!


The lunch menu boasts sandwiches, salads and burgers, with a special section on the menu for liquid-nitrogen milkshakes. While I didn't try one this time around, that Butterscotch and Black Truffle milkshake is calling my name for my next visit, I'll promise you that! We decided to start with a dish that doesn't seem to be on the online menu: Lobster Arancini. Oh my goodness, these are delicious! If you've read my blog before, I'm sure you are well-aware that I love lobster, in all it's shapes and forms. This appetizer was right up my alley, and did NOT disappoint. The four arancini came lined up in a lovely boat-like dish, on a bed of delicious dipping sauce. They were crispy on the outside, and creamy on the inside, with recognizable chunks of lobster in each bite. They were the perfect temperature, and the dish was definitely meant for sharing!


I was torn between a few things on the menu, but I think I made the right decision in the end. I went for something called "The Ultimate Grilled Cheese." This, too, is not listed on the online menu, so I think it's safe to say the menu changes frequently, according to the seasons. Nothing to complain about there! I love a rotating menu! The "Ultimate Grilled Cheese" is yummy, gooey cheese with chunks of braised short ribs and sweet, warmed apples. It is sandwiched between two pieces of hearty raisin bread that adds another unique element of sweetness to a very savory sandwich. The short ribs were tender and flavorful, just spot on! On the side of the plate, I found some chunky slices of pickle, and a small slice of jalapeno. Jalapeno-infused pickles? Oh yes, my goodness! They had the perfect amount of heat to leave the taste of jalapeno on your lips. It was not overdone at all, and they were delicious!

Blue Inc.


I will definitely be frequenting Blue Inc on a regular basis. It's affordable, delicious, and offers a lovely atmosphere for a break from the hub-bub of a work day! I'm looking forward to trying their dinner menu as well...the entrees look amazing, and I think the first thing I'll try is Grilled Salmon, served with Parma ham wrapped salsify, wild mushrooms, warm mussel and herb salad, and a vanilla veloute. I am absolutely intrigured by the creative flavor profiles that this menu offers and I can't wait to go back!

Blue Inc can be found at 131 Broad Street. You can reach them at 617-261-5353, or go to Opentable.com for a reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment