Monday, August 6, 2012

Days Fly By

Amidst the recuperating from my foot surgery, BBQs on hot summer nights, weekends away, and Groupons that are going to expire, I haven't done much cooking in the past few weeks. For this, I apologize, because when I don't cook, I don't really think to write - unless I visit a new and exciting place, but I haven't done that. I've been frequenting the many favorites (ones I've already written about) or hanging out with friends at home, grilling up simple steak tips, and trying to beat the humidity by not rushing around my kitchen in a frenzy.

As the days begin to get shorter, and the weather starts to get cooler, I definitely start to "nest," doing larger food shopping trips, and stocking the shelves for the comfort foods of cold weather. In preparation for this "nesting," I've been trying to organize my kitchen (as well as the rest of our apartment), and the first task on the list was the pantry. I have TOO MANY spices, oils, vinegars and other assorted ingredients. I realized that I have duplicate bottles of many things, as well as items in containers that aren't labeled and difficult to find in the back of these deep shelves.

Untitled

So, I got out the label maker, I bought some little bottles for consolidating duplicates, and even got some adorable polka-dotted contact paper to pull it all together! I'm almost done with the first shelf! Yes, I've only done one shelf. It's a lot of work - it was the spice shelf! Once it's finished, I'll have an accurate account of the things I need to use up before going on anymore ingredient binges. I've got plenty to last me awhile, and all I need to supplement are fresh fruits and veggies, and proteins. I probably won't be making a set menu for a few weeks as I make my best effort to clear some things that need to be used up. I think I'll use farmers' markets and local stores to supplement what I've got in small amounts, since we still have a bunch of Groupon vouchers that expire at the end of the month, as well as lots of plans to take advantage of outdoor dining before the summer's up.

Thankfully, I'm getting around better now, and can take advantage of all that Boston has to offer in the summertime, while the weather's nice and the college kids are still on vacation! Once September hits, it's a mad house up in here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment