Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Part 3 : Chapter 12 : Dairy and Egg Purchasing and Identification


I just flipped through the upcoming few chapters and we're really getting into the thick of things soon! I'm very excited to start the cooking practice, and put the background stuff behind us. However, I realize how important it is to have a solid basis of knowledge, so I patiently plug away at Part 3 of The Professional Chef.

In this chapter, we take a closer look at all things dairy. As we all know, this genre of ingredient is highly perishable and must always be stored at correct temperatures, as well as be used within a short amount of time. Did you know that dairy products are very susceptible to flavor transfer? For this reason, they should be stored as far away from items, such as onions, as possible.

This might be my favorite chapter so far, and I'll tell you why. It's all about CHEESE! I love cheese. The chapter mentions something interesting: "Natural cheeses are considered 'living.'" What does that mean, you ask? Well, it means that cheeses tend to continue growing in flavor and texture as they age and ripen. So, in essence, the cheese matures over time. Parmigiano-Reggiano, for instance, is an aged cheese, kept in the dark for months, before being divided and sold to distributors.

After one more section on the identification of dry goods (coming in the next few days), we'll finally be on to some cooking! It looks like we're going to be having a LOT of soups over the next few months, which is exciting. I'm going to fill my freezer with homemade stocks and soups, ready for any weekend lunch, or quick weeknight meal! Join me on this voyage, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment